1. Instructions on how to enter the Competition and details regarding the Competition contained herein form part of these Terms and Conditions. Entry into and participation in this Competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
2. The Competition is free to enter and open to any Egyptian person aged 18 and above.
3. The Competition commences on the 2nd of April 2020 (“the Commencement Date”) and closes on the
31st of May 18th of June 2020 (the “Closing Date”). The period between the Commencement Date and the Closing Date shall be the Competition entry period (the “Competition Entry Period”).
4. MDB will not accept any entries made outside the Entry Period or by any means other than that prescribed in clause 5 below
5. To participate in the Competition, Entrants must send in the items requested in the Grant Submission Form constituting the short film project (the “Short Film”) by accessing the Grant Submission Page at the website www.mdbfilmfestival.com, and completing the Submission Form by entering the details required therein in full
6. The Short Film must be the original work of the Entrant, and the Entrant must own the whole of the copyright in the Short Film. In circumstances where the Short Film or parts thereof are derived from or contain images or material from an existing work, the Entrants must ensure that they have received copyright clearance from the owner of that existing work. The Entrant undertakes to guarantee, compensate, and hold harmless MDB against any expenses and direct or indirect losses, as well as any sentences imposed on MDB due to action for infringement of copyright taken against it by third parties resulting from the Short Film.
7. The Entrant declares that he holds all of the copyrights, intellectual property rights and all other types of rights, or the authorizations required, to transfer and distribute the Short Film.
8. The Entrant(s) shall be the individual or individuals most responsible for the creation and completion of the Short Film.
9. Once the Short Film Submission has been completed, the Entrant shall provide:
1. (a) Proof of identity when needed;
2. (b) The Entrant shall then receive an email confirming receipt of their entry by MDB, and stating that the acceptance of their entry by MDB is subject to a moderation of their entry by MDB in its sole discretion; MDB shall aim to moderate each entry within one week of receipt, but moderation may take longer due to the volume of entries from time to time; entries will be accepted and/or rejected by MDB in its sole discretion and subject to terms and conditions contained herein.
10. By entering the Competition, Entrants acknowledge, agree and declare that they are aware that their participation is entirely at their own risk and that they hereby waive, surrender and relinquish in favor of MDB all claims of any nature and howsoever arising (including as a result of negligence) which but for this waiver, surrender, and relinquishment they may or otherwise have against MDB either directly or indirectly arising out of their participation in the Competition.
11. By entering the Competition, Entrants hereby warrant that all information submitted is true, current and complete. Any Entrants who have supplied incomplete, inaccurate or fraudulent information may be automatically disqualified. MDB reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant if MDB has reasonable grounds to believe that an Entrant has breached any of these terms and conditions or has tampered with the Competition process. Failure by MDB to enforce any of its rights at any stage of the Competition does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
12. Incomplete, indecipherable or illegible entries will be deemed invalid. Entrants bear all responsibility to ensure that their entry is complete and legible and that their Short Film is submitted in the correct format.
13. Only one (1) original Short Film shall be submitted per category.
14. The costs of entering the Competition, including the costs and expenses incurred in connection with or arising directly or indirectly from the making and production of the Short Film, shall be borne solely by the Entrants.
15. This production grant is only for expenses related to the Short Film submitted
16. SEMAT, SEEN FILMS and SEE MEDIA will provide editing equipment to winning films free of charge according to their terms and conditions
17. MDB Logo will be included in the finished film’s closing credits as well as the Grant sponsor (when applicable) and the production company who lent the editing equipment
18. Sponsors will only be allowed to use selected trailers by the filmmaker in promotional use and will not be allowed to use the finished films for any purpose unless specified by the filmmaker or with his written consent
19. The Entrants shall grant to MDB a non-exclusive, irrevocable license to MDB to publish trailers of their Short Film on MDB and/or the Competition website (as MDB may require), for promotional purposes and for the purposes of the Competition.
20. Following the Closing Date, the entries to the Competition shall compete for a production grant for a total of 70,000 Egyptian Pounds and the winners shall be determined as follows:
1. (a) judging panel of industry experts shall be appointed by MDB in its sole discretion;
2. (b) After the Closing Date, the judging panel shall view all of the Short Films entered by the Entrants on a rolling basis;
3. (c) In 2020 (date yet to be determined), the judging panel shall determine the winners in the judging panel’s sole discretion;
4. (d) The judging shall be based only on the subjective personal opinions of the judging panel and shall be final;
5. (e) MDB accepts no liability for the decisions made by the judging panel, and no correspondence will be entered into in this regard.
21. The winners in each category specified in clause 16 above shall be notified on “Best of the Fest “ (date yet to be determined)
22. MDB in its sole discretion, in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations, may award further prizes to entrants, and the content of such prize and the criteria for winning such prize shall be notified by MDB from time to time as the case may be. They may also choose to withhold awards from any category without stating reasons.
23. Winners of the production grant will be required to sign their grant contract within 6 weeks of the winner announcement and in failure to do so the grant allotted will be canceled. Filmmakers are required to agree on all items included in the contract and to guarantee the completion of the film and to refund the grant in the case that they have failed to complete the film
24. MDB has the right to withdraw/refund the grant allotted to the filmmaker in the case that the filmmaker has not completed the film in due time specified in the contract
25. The prize shall be delivered to their respective winners at each winner’s address specified in the Competition Entry Form within six (6) weeks of “Best of the Fest”, or in any other way MDB may deem appropriate.
26. Each winner agrees to participate in reasonable post-competition publicity for MDB at MDB’s expense, including but not limited to their attendance for interviews, photographs, videos and any other promotional activity specified by MDB, and grant a nonexclusive, irrevocable license to MDB to use their name, biographical details, photographs, videos, likenesses and any other information regarding the winner deemed appropriate for use by MDB for any promotional and marketing purposes by MDB for a period of (3) years from the Closing Date.
27. Each Entrant warrants that he or she has no other agreements or arrangements with any third parties relating to the performance, service, image, name or likeness and/or other rights that may interfere with his or her entry into the Competition and the execution of his or her obligations as the winner in this Competition.
28. The terms and conditions of a related third-party supplier or suppliers of prizes may apply and shall be accepted by the winner or winners.
29. If this Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of MDB, MDB reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law
1. (a) to disqualify any Entrant; or
2. (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as appropriate.
30. Any cost associated with accessing the Competition website is the Entrant's responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used. MDB makes no guarantee of the availability of its web services and will not be held responsible for interruption of service that may interfere with the ability to participate in the Competition.
31. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, MDB (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of this Competition, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following:
1. (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under MDB’s control);
2. (b) any theft, unauthorized access or third-party interference;
3. (c) any entry that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by MDB) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of MDB; or
4. (d) any tax liability incurred by an Entrant.
33. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Arab Republic of Egypt. Entrants agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Egyptian courts.
34. MDB hereby reserves the right to change, suspend or cancel the Competition, or to change these terms and conditions, by notice on the MDB website. MDB shall not be required to specify any reasons for the changes and shall not incur any liability as a result.
35. The promoter of this Competition is MDB of Greek Campus - Downtown - Wust el Balad, Cairo, Egypt