1. Instructions on how to enter the Competition and details regarding the Competition contained herein form part of these Terms and Conditions. Entry into and participation in this Competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
2. The competition will be divided into two categories: “Short Films” and “Student films”. “Short films” will be screened at different venues around Cairo from in September or October 2020 (Exact dates yet to be determined).
3. The Competition is free to enter and open to any Egyptian person aged 18 and above.
4. The Competition commences on the 2nd of April 2020 (“the Commencement Date”) and closes on the 31st of May (the “Closing Date”). The period between the Commencement Date and the Closing Date shall be the Competition entry period (the “Competition Entry Period”).
5. To participate in the Competition, Entrants must write, create, record and edit in a digital video format a Short Film, of a maximum of 30 minutes in duration with no minimum running time, of content of the Entrant’s choosing in .mp4 format (the “Short Film”). The Short Film must either be in Arabic or with Arabic subtitles. The Short Film must have been produced after 1 January 2018.
6. The Short Film must be the original work of the Entrant, and the Entrant must own the whole of the copyright in the Short Film. In circumstances where the Short Film or parts thereof are derived from or contain images or material from an existing work, the Entrants must ensure that they have received copyright clearance from the owner of that existing work. The Entrant undertakes to guarantee, compensate, and hold harmless MDB against any expenses and direct or indirect losses, as well as any sentences imposed on MDB due to action for infringement of copyright taken against it by third parties resulting from the Short Film.
7. The Entrant declares that he holds all of the copyrights, intellectual property rights and all other types of rights, or the authorizations required, to transfer and distribute the Short Film.
8. The Entrant(s) shall be the individual or individuals most responsible for the creation and recording of the Short Film.
9. To enter the Competition, after the Commencement Date and prior to the Closing Date the Entrants must first register their interest in the Competition by accessing the Registration Page at the website www.mdbfilmfestival.com, and entering their email address and any other details requested therein in the Registration Form.
10. Once the Short Film has been completed and prior to the Closing Date, the Entrant shall provide:
(a) Proof of identity;
(b) Thereafter and prior to the Closing Date, the Entrant must access the Competition Entry Page at the website www.mdbfilmfestival.com, and complete the Competition Entry Form by entering the details required therein in full, including but not limited to the full name of the Entrant, the address of the Entrant and all other contact details and any other information requested therein;
(c) The Entrant shall then receive an email confirming receipt of their entry by MDB, and stating that the acceptance of their entry by MDB is subject to moderation of their entry by MDB in its sole discretion;
(d) MDB shall aim to moderate each entry within one week of receipt, but moderation may take longer due to the volume of entries from time to time;
(e) If the entry is accepted by MDB following moderation, the Entrant shall receive a confirmation email of the acceptance of their entry[, and provide the Entrant with a link to share their entry on the [competition] website for voting purposes]; and
(f) If the entry is not accepted by MDB following moderation, the Entrant shall receive an email from MDB to that effect that it has not been accepted. For the avoidance of doubt, entries will be accepted and/or rejected by MDB in its sole discretion and subject to terms and conditions contained herein.
11. MDB will not accept any entries made outside the Entry Period or by any means other than that prescribed in clause 3 above
12. By entering the Competition, Entrants acknowledge, agree and declare that they are aware that their participation is entirely at their own risk and that they hereby waive, surrender and relinquish in favor of MDB all claims of any nature and howsoever arising (including as a result of negligence) which but for this waiver, surrender and relinquishment they may or otherwise have against MDB either directly or indirectly arising out of their participation in the Competition.
13. By entering the Competition, Entrants hereby warrant that all information submitted is true, current and complete. Any Entrants who have supplied incomplete, inaccurate or fraudulent information may be automatically disqualified. MDB reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant if MDB has reasonable grounds to believe that an Entrant has breached any of these terms and conditions or has tampered with the Competition process. Failure by MDB to enforce any of its rights at any stage of the Competition does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
14. Incomplete, indecipherable or illegible entries will be deemed invalid. Entrants bear all responsibility to ensure that their entry is complete and legible, and that their Short Film is submitted in the correct format and clearly visible and audible.
15. Only one (1) original Short Film shall be submitted per category.
16. The costs of entering the Competition, including the costs and expenses incurred in connection with or arising directly or indirectly from the making and production of the Short Film, shall be borne solely by the Entrants.
17. The Entrants shall grant to MDB a non-exclusive, irrevocable license to publish their Short Film in full on “Best of the Fest” dates and/or the Competition website (if applicable), and in part in any other promotional material of MDB, for the purposes of the Competition.
18. Following the Closing Date, the entries to the Competition shall be judged in the following two distinct categories:
(a) The “Best of the Fest” Category; and
(b) The “Short Film Festival” Category.
19. The winners of any of the Categories set out in clause 18 above shall be determined as follows:
(c) In September or October of 2020 the judging panel shall determine the winner of each category in the judging panel’s sole discretion;
20. The winners in each category specified in clause 18 above shall be notified by email and on the MDB website in September or October of 2020. In circumstances where the voting has been extended, the winner of that category shall be notified by email and their details published on the MDB website on the day after the winner has been determined in accordance with the procedure set out therein.
21. The “Best of the Fest” Category shall compete to win:
1. 1st Place Documentary: Determined by the jury. A cash prize of 30,000 Egyptian Pounds for “Shorts” and 15,000 for “Students” will be awarded.
2. 1st Place Fiction/Narrative: Determined by the jury. A cash prize of 30,000 Egyptian Pounds for “Shorts” and 15,000 for “Students” will be awarded.
3. The Audience Award: Determined by audience votes. A cash prize of 10,000 Egyptian Pounds will be awarded to each “Shorts” and “Students”
4. A total of six craft awards selected by the jury will be given to films from both categories, each for 5,000 EGP for: Best Female Performance, Best Male Performance, Best Directing, Best Cinematography, Best Sound Design, Best Editing.
22. MDB in its sole discretion, in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations, may award further prizes to entrants, and the content of such prize and the criteria for winning such prize shall be notified by MDB from time to time as the case may be. They may also choose to withhold awards from any category without stating reasons.
23. The prize shall be delivered to their respective winners at each winner’s address specified in the Competition Entry Form within six (6) weeks of “Best of the Fest”, or in any other way MDB may deem appropriate.
24. Each winner agrees to participate in reasonable post-competition publicity for MDB at MDB’s expense, including but not limited to their attendance for interviews, photographs, videos and any other promotional activity specified by MDB, and grant a nonexclusive, irrevocable license to MDB to use their name, biographical details, photographs, videos, likenesses and any other information regarding the winner deemed appropriate for use by MDB for any promotional and marketing purposes by MDB for a period of three (3) years from the Closing Date.
25. Each Entrant warrants that he or she has no other agreements or arrangements with any third parties relating to the performance, service, image, name or likeness and/or other rights that may interfere with his or her entry into the Competition and the execution of his or her obligations as the winner in this Competition.
26. The terms and conditions of a related third-party supplier or suppliers of prizes may apply and shall be accepted by the winner or winners.
27. If this Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of MDB, MDB reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any Entrant; or (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as appropriate.
28. Any cost associated with accessing the Competition website is the Entrant's responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used. MDB makes no guarantee of the availability of its web services and will not be held responsible for interruption of service that may interfere with the ability to participate in the Competition.
29. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, MDB (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of this Competition, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following:
(a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under MDB’s control);
(b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference;
(c) any entry that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by MDB) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of MDB; or
(d) any tax liability incurred by an Entrant.
31. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Arab Republic of Egypt. Entrants agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Egyptian courts.
32. MDB hereby reserves the right to change, suspend or cancel the Competition, or to change these terms and conditions, by notice on the MDB website. MDB shall not be required to specify any reasons for the changes and shall not incur any liability as a result.
33. The promoter of this Competition is MDB of Greek Campus - Downtown - Wust el Balad, Cairo, Egypt.